first_img“We deeply regret the events that took place during the game,” the statement read. “The actions displayed have no place on any basketball court. We wish to apologize to the entire basketball community worldwide—and in particular to our fantastic fans in the Philippines and Australia—for the behavior displayed by both teams and for bringing the game of basketball into disrepute.“We fully accept our responsibility and are collaborating in the ongoing proceedings to investigate the incidents. We will do everything in our power to prevent this from happening again.”The statement was signed by SBP president Al Panlilio and BA counter part Ned Coten.Nine players from Gilas Pilipinas were jected from the game on disqualifying fouls while four Aussies were also tossed after the melee, which was triggered by a blind-side elbow from Daniel Kickert to Roger Pogoy.Late Wednesday night, NLEX coach Yeng Guiao came to Gilas Pilipinas’ defense and blasted Kickert for the attack, which he described as potentially fatal.ADVERTISEMENT Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next “Kickert started it all and he didn’t even apologize. All he said was it’s regrettable and all he said was it was unfortunate,” Guiao told reporters after the Road Warriors’ loss to the Magnolia Hotshots at Mall of Asia Arena.“He almost killed somebody and he did not apologize.”Guiao said the Aussies, who flew to the country on the heels of a stunning defeat to Japan, came to the Philippines “looking for trouble.” “The tone was set the day before when they were already ripping the decals without any permission. I coached the national team, I would never do that coming into any venue and you have to respect the property of other people whatever they say,” said Guiao, who coached the national team in 2008.POC secretary general Pato Gregorio admitted that there were jitters that the brawl would affect the World Cup 2023, which the Philippines is co-hosting with Japan and Indonesia.“Indonesia is also worried with what happened,” said Gregorio, who was also present during the meeting at the PBA Offices in Libis, Quezon City.Panlilio had earlier allayed fears that the brawl would cause a frayed relationship with Fiba and affect the country’s hosting of the World Cup.Panlilio doubled down on his assertion in Wednesday’s meeting, describing the brawl as a “standalone event” that had nothing to do with the SBP’s standing with Fiba and its hosting of the World Cup. Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ The Philippine Basketball Association will appeal any sanction by Fiba on Gilas Pilipinas players if it involves their stint in the professional league, commissioner Willie Marcial said Thursday.ADVERTISEMENT Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacueescenter_img Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial LATEST STORIES Two Koreas hold first unification basketball match in 15 years Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil “We will wait for Fiba’s decision,” Marcial told reporters after meeting members of the team that came to blows with Australia during their World Cup Qualifying match at Philippine Arena Monday night.“If the players are suspended from Fiba tournaments, we will abide by that decision,” Marcial added. “But if they are suspended even in the PBA, we will appeal.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThe PBA has deferred action on the erring players until after the Fiba decision comes out.Earlier in the day, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas and Basketball Australia came up with a joint statement expressing regret over the brawl, which happened in the third period of what was officially logged as an 89-53 win by the Aussies when the Filipinos did not have anymore players to continue on. MOST READ Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 View commentslast_img

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *